There are several pieces to this portion of the project.
- Get the project running on my breadboard to make sure all of the pieces worked.
- Design and create a box to hold the protoboard so I can mount it in the garage.
- Figure out a 5V power supply.
- Position all of the components on the board.
- Solder it all up.
- Debug and replace a blown diode (loads of fun)
- Test and document.
Here’s the Solidworks model I created. I plan to screw it to the ceiling near to power for the garage door and then run the wires to the sensors and the opener.
I found a 5Volt 1Amp USB charger around the house and opened it up to see the inside. I removed the USB connector and the hooked up some 18Ga wire to the output. While I was at it I replaced the input wires as well as they were really small and seemed to be acting up a bit. The result is a nice compact little power supply. I think I may add some silicone to the opening to seal it up a bit.
I added a 2 conductor plug so it’s easy to disconnect.
Here’s the layout of the protoboard. I have not decided if I’m going to bother with an external connector for the sensors and opener wires or not. I can pull the NODEMCU board out and replace with another one to update software or at some point I may add over the air software update capability.
Board mounted in the case.
Bottom of the board. Not real pretty, but functional.
Tried to use Red for power, Black for ground, Yellow for signals.